Over weekend I popped into a big Tesco searching for fresh fish and I was so disappointed. In fact I am always disappointed by Tesco’s fish section and yet every time I check it out! On Sunday, not having the ideal options I ended up with some fish cut mix, you know the ones for fish pie?
I digged out my cookery books and found this gem: A humble, short recipe with no pictures and no drama, by Anjum Anand (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Indian-Food-Made-Anjum-Anand/dp/1844005712/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335823923&sr=8-1). The Green Fish Curry. This recipe specially grabbed my attention as in it’s list of ingredients says: “Salmon or white flesh fish”. Well bingo! I have both. ( I suggest if you do buy the fish cut mix, leave the smoked ones aside, no good for curry).
So here I am on a Monday evening, having cooked this dish and eaten it too. Still thinking what a perfect meal it was! How deliciously spiced, creamy, aromatic with a hint of green chili. Really beautiful! Definitely nothing that you could find on a Indian take away menu! Quite special!
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 4 cloves
- 6 Green cardamom pods
- 1 large shards of cinnamon
- 1 Small onion, cut in half and finely chopped
- 10g fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 300 ml coconut milk
- 2-4 green chilies, left whole
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp gram masala
- 100 ml water
- 10 curry leaves
- 500g fish pieces
- 50 g fresh coriander leaves
- Half lemon
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add all the dry spices and cook for 20 seconds.
- Add half of the chopped onion an cook for 4-5 mins until soft.
- Blend together the remaining uncut onion, ginger, garlic, and 100 ml coconut milk to a smooth puree, add to the pan with whole green chilies and salt and cook , covered for 10-15 mins, giving the pot an occasional stir.
- Stir in the remaining coconut milk and spices, water, curry leaves and fish. Leave to cook undisturbed for about 3-5 mins, depending on the thickness of the fish.
- Gently stir in juice of the half lemon and the coriander. Check the seasoning and serve with rice.
Thanks for looking and come back soon.