This is my second Guinness recipe and yet again I am so pleasantly surprised! Guinness is like a magic ingredient, that enhances any rich flavor. Personally I think this recipe has to be one of the best ice cream recipes made for grown ups! ( all credits go to Guinness cookbook) .
Now ….the first good news is that you don’t need an ice cream maker (Pheww!)
Second good news is: no one can tell ,straight away, that you have put so much Guinness in this. The brown color comes from muscovado sugar more than Guinness! Flavor wise; think more coffee flavor with a hint of mystery, there is no sign of alcohol taste, but overall is very unique. Keep people guessing! It’s utterly delicious! Creamy and custard y. Silky soft with crunchy bites!
- 6 egg yolks
- 125 g mascovado sugar
- 300 ml single cream
- 150 ml draught GUINNESS
- 2 x 40g chocolate covered honeycomb bars, chopped
- Put the yolks and sugar in a large heatproof bowl, set over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir until the sugar has dissolved, then remove from the heat.
- Heat the cream and Guinness in a nonstick saucepan to just below boiling point- don’t worry if the mixture has slightly curdled at this point. Pour over the egg yolk and sugar mixture, beating well with a balloon whisk.
- Return the mixture to the nonstick pan and cook over lowest possible heat , stirring constantly, until the custard starts to thicken and coats the back of a spoon. This will take at least 10 mins and up to 20 mins.
- Pour the mixture back into the heatproof bowl and leave to coll completely, ten stir in the chopped chocolate honeycombs. Turn the ice cream into a shallow plastic container and freeze for 2 hours, then remove it from the freezer and stir well. Return to freezer until completely frozen.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and leave at the room temperature for a few mins to soften slightly before serving.
Thanks for looking and come back soon!