It’s has been a beautiful weekend. Nice and sunny, therefore deserves an ultimate brunch. This dish is a punchy, flavoured-filled way to start a day. Here are words from it’s creator ‘Gizzi in Skinny weeks and weekend feast‘ :
There is a bit to do to create this dish but, by GOD, it’s worth it. I was introduced to sweet potato mayo by an Australian friend of mine. It’s a revelation, and one I’m starting to see pop up on more cafe menus across London.
( Serves 4, Prep time: 10 mins, Cooking time: 1 Hour 15 mins)
- 1x 150g (ish) sweet potato
- 2 tbsp good-quality mayonnaise
- 4 fresh chorizo sausages, cut in half lenghtways
- 4 free-range eggs
- 2 tbsp of olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- 4 slices of sourdough bread ( I used ciabatta instead)
- 4 small handful of rocket leaves
- 1 roasted red pepper ( from the jar if you have) .
- Heat the oven to 180C/ Gas 4. Place the sweet potato on a baking tray and bake for 45 mins, or until completely soft through.
- Remove from the oven and leave it to cool completely in its skin. Take the cooked sweet potato flesh from it’s skin, put in a bowl and mash together with mayonnaise until combined. Set aside. ( You can do this step a day before to speed up the process)
- Add the chorizo sausages cut-side down to a dry frying pan and fry gently for about 3 mins, until they just started getting charred. Turn them over and cook for further 3 min. Keep them warm. ( Chorizo will secret tons of delicious oil while it cooks, save it for later).
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Add the eggs and boil for 6 mins. Remove from the water, drain and peel under cold running water.
- Heat a griddle pan until smoking. Drizzle the slices of bread with olive oil, then griddle until toasted and lightly charred on each side.
- Spread the toast with sweet potato mayo and scatter a handful of rocket leaves over each. Drizzle over a little reserved chorizo oil, then top each toast with a slice of pepper and chorizo halves. Cut the peeled eggs in half and place one on top of each toast.
Thanks for looking and come back soon! x