The original recipe uses white/ brown rice, cooked slowly with stock to make it glutenous and luscious. ( For a great Congee recipe you can check Yotam Ottolenghi’s post in the guardian ) .
I was inspired by a recipe, from my favourite Gizzi Erskine that uses ‘Brown Rice Flakes’. ‘Brown’ to add goodness, ‘Flakes’ to half the cooking process.
( Serves 2, cooking time 25mins, prep time 5 mins )
- 50g brown rice flakes
- 600g chicken stock or vegetable stock
- Soya sauce
Suggestions for the TOPPINGS:
- Soft boiled egg ( boil a large egg for 5-6 minutes)
- Thai Chilli
- Spring onions
- Tenderstem broccoli
- Oyster sauce ( or plum sauce)
- Put the rice flakes, stock and a pinch of salt in a pan and bring to the boil. Lower the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 25 minutes, or until the porridge has thickened and the rice is cooked all the way through and pretty much broken up into a mulch.
- While the congee is cooking, prepare the toppings. To your liking. I have used chopped spring onions, chopped Thai chilli, deep fried ginger slices, soft boiled eggs and oyster sauce.
Thanks for looking and come back soon!