My today’s post is one of those “beige” foods I usually try to avoid! Despite the fact that I am a big fan of healthy eating and having lots of colourful veg on my plate – I still leave room to misbehave! It’s hard to watch the likes of Man Vs food and not secretly fancy tasting a meal or two from that show. So this is a post mildly inspired by those infamous New York deli’s where the sandwiches (and calories) are piled high!
This -“The Reuben” sandwich is supposed to be a big deal in New York city and seems to convert anyone who tastes it.
I’d never heard of a Reuben when I arrived in New York, but I’d go as far as to say that now I couldn’t live without them. They may not be my death row meal, but they’re definitely my desert island sandwich. As the Croque Monsieur is to France, so is the Reuben to New york.
During last week I have gone through 4 different types of bread loaves, 3 different recipes about 800g corned beef and finally I have found my favourite version of Reuben ( That’s by following the video below). The main difference between recipes I followed came down to the sauce you use. In my opinion the Russian Sauce used in this video is the tastiest spread to complementing this tasty bite. The second best sauce -in my opinion- is the the Thousand Island sauce and this is also found in many Reuben recipes, so makes a good, quick back up if you don’t have the time or inclination to make yourself a Russian sauce.
- (The fantastic )Russian dressing : 1 cup mayonnaise, 2 tbsp good chilli sauce, tsp of minced garlic, 1/2 tsp of paprika, 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp chopped parsley.
- Sliced corned beef
- A handful of Sauerkraut drained
- Swiss cheese / emmental cheese
- 2 slices of rye bread
( You need a big hot pan or a panini maker)
- Butter each bread slice on one side ( this is going to be the outside of your sandwich), place the non butter side of the bread on a hot pan and toast lightly then toast the other side.
- Warm up a good handful ( a size that fits in your bread ) of each sauerkraut and corned beef slices separately in a hot pan.
- place 2 slices of cheese on top of the corned beef pile in a pan, and let melt.
- Spread the russian dressing on the inside of your bread and assemble the sandwich!
- Tasty! (garlicy, meaty , salty, creamy just very indulgent and pleasing.
Thanks for looking and come back soon!